Mackellar Schwerdt Architects began with the integration of two long established practices: RN Mackellar & Partners (formed in Newcastle Upon Tyne in 1874 as Cackett and Burns Dick) and John Schwerdt (formed in Lewes in 1954). For over 60 years the practice has been lead from offices based in the centre of Lewes with successive generations of partners carrying forward the practice name. The partnership of Andrew Goodwin, Steven George and Stephen Dryburgh, continues the tradition.
The Practice moved into its larger, newly refurbished offices in Albion Street, Lewes in 2006. Purpose built over 130 years ago as a school of art, the building has served as a museum and as the town library. Built in a free Gothic style with high internal ceilings, the Grade II building has been sympathetically refurbished to house the Mackellar Schwerdt design team.
The work of the Practice is supported by former Partner Stephen Kemp, acting as a Consultant, who brings a wealth of knowledge and technical expertise to aid the practice further in achieving the best for all of its clients.